Protecting Your Family Against Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas, can be deadly. The experts at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) share strategies on how to avoid it:
With more frigid weather on the way, it is important to stay safe while staying warm. Carbon monoxide (CO), produced by furnaces, vehicles, portable generators, stoves, lanterns, gas ranges, or burning wood can make you sick and even be life threatening. Protect yourself by taking the following simple steps:
- Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home. Check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each Spring and Fall.
- Leave your home immediately and call 911 if your CO detector alarm sounds.
- Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Seek prompt medical attention if you feel dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated and suspect CO poisoning.
- Do not heat your house with a gas oven.
- Never run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
- Do not burn anything in a stove or fireplace that is not vented.
- If your power goes out, remember—never use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline- or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or outside less than 20 feet from a window, door, or vent.
For more information, visit www.cdc.gov/co.
Reprinted courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control.