Sixteen Anti-Aging Tips
Aging is a natural process. However, there are measures that we can take to delay the process of aging and to ensure we age gracefully.
1. Incorporate anti-aging regimens in your daily routine. This could include use of antioxidants, exfoliating cleansers and sunscreen.
2. Eat right. This includes consumption of fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants, healthy whole grains, healthy fats, lean protein and lots of water. Try to avoid food items that are high in sugar and sodium. Also avoid processed foods.
3. For women, it is important to form good cleansing habits such as not going to bed with makeup on and using skin products that are of good quality and that are suited for their skin type.
4. Stay active and exercise regularly. Even if you do not want to go the gym every day or adopt a vigorous workout. The best thing is to choose what fits best in your life but some form of exercise should be included in your daily regimen be it yoga, running or walking.
5. If your skin becomes excessively dry, use a moisturizer that contains hyaluronic acid. Youthful skin contains large amounts of hyaluronic acid as it provides continuous moisture to the skin. As we age, our skin’s ability to produce hyaluronic acid decreases.
6. Get sufficient sleep. Lack of sleep has been known to weaken our immunity, increase our weight and slow down our thinking and reflexes. The process of aging becomes faster in people who don’t sleep enough.
7. Keep your stress levels low and stay happy. Anxiety and stress can wreak havoc on our bodies. That is why it is important to fill our lives with things that make us happy and get rid of those that cause us pain. Being happy helps one stay young.
8. Avoid sugar, as it is a direct cause of aging. Sugar has been known to reduce lifespan in organisms quite significantly.
9. This might sound like advice your grandmother would give you but do not raise your eyebrows as it will give you wrinkles. Forehead crinkling is not a good habit as it can give you forehead lines very early.
10. Smoking should be avoided at all costs if you want to slow down the aging process. It is the easiest way to look old and shorten your lifespan. This applies to both primary and secondary smoke.
11. Stimulate your mind and challenge yourself mentally. This could include learning a new language, taking on a new project, traveling to a new place etc.
12. Take Vitamin D, as it can play an important role in slowing down the aging process. Vitamin D also provides other benefits so it is a good idea to ensure its part of your diet.
13. Do regular health check-ups and don’t neglect prevention tips from your doctor.
14.Don’t spend too much time watching TV as this time could be better utilized doing other activities that are beneficial for your health.
15. Consume nuts, as they are filled with anti-aging fats, vitamins and minerals. Don’t go overboard when eating nuts. It is best to eat a handful.
16. Avoid dairy products, as milk and milk products are associated with acne, which can lead to age spots and scarring.
Marina Gafanovich, MD is the founder of an annual check-up center in New York, has been recognized as the top in her field for primary care in NYC. She received her undergraduate degree from New York University. After that she received her medical degree from Sackler School of Medicine in New York City in 2002. She was a resident in Internal Medicine at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, NY. Her dedication to patient education and excellence gained her a position as a Hospital Care Attending Physician. Dr. Gafanovich is affiliated with New York Presbyterian Hospital.