Mental & Emotional Health
Tips to Find Happiness at Any Age
The New Year is a wonderful time to not only evaluate your past, but explore your goals for the year ahead. While it is common that health and fitness resolutions land at the top of people’s list, the truth is that achieving any goal in 2018 is dependent upon good health, especially as we age.
National trainer, Sims Corbett with SilverSneakers, the nation’s leading community fitness program designed specifically for older adults, shares health and fitness resolutions for any age.
Here are a few tips from Sims on how to make resolutions that will help you live your best life in 2018:
- Set a SMART goal: SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Action Oriented, Realistic and Time Bound. “Losing weight” is not a specific measurable goal, instead say you want to lose 10 pounds in three months. That way you have something to strive toward and measure against.
- Start small: If you only focus on an ambitious long-term goal, you may be setting yourself up for failure. It is important to set weekly milestones that allow you to see progress and achieve success early and often.
- Bring a friend: Knowing that you promised a friend you would join them for that 6 a.m. class keeps you accountable for showing up and doing your best. Having a friend to workout with also makes the experience more enjoyable.
- Track progress: As you work toward your goals you may not be able to see results. Make sure to track your activities and the progress you make along the way. Whether it be pounds lost or miles ran, it will be encouraging to see where you started and where you are now.
- Celebrate success: Each milestone toward the end goal should be celebrated. Completing your resolution won’t happen overnight and the journey should be an exciting time as you work toward a healthier you.